Confucius Wishing Lanterns
February 9, 2019 | 3:00PM - 10:00PM
Location: River Walk, 600 E. Market Street (river level)
Join us on the River Walk on Saturday, February 9, 2019, for the ethereal experience of casting lanterns into the river in honor of loved ones, hopes, dreams, and wishes. Admission is free, and lanterns are $5 each sold at the event (or $5.25 in advance- sold online here). Lanterns are eco-friendly and contain a floating LED candle. Decorating areas will be provided that allows guests to personalize their lanterns. Sunset is 6:19 pm. Lanterns may be cast into the river beginning at 6:30 pm. We have ordered 15,000 lanterns this year and expanded our event footprint to allow for more area to launch lanterns and view)
Entertainment includes Asian music and dance prior to wishing lantern release.
A few things to know before you come to Confucius Wishing Lanterns:
1. Please bring cash (small bills) for a speedy lantern check-out. Credit card sales are available.
2. Lanterns will be sold on street level and river level (map will be added closer to event date showing sales and decoration locations)
3. Multiple decorating zones available on the river level. The public is welcome to bring their own markers.
4. The event will be held in rain or cold weather (covered areas available).
5. If unsafe weather conditions prevent the event to be held on February 9th, we have reserved February 10th and February 17th as backup dates. Please check this website page to determine if the event date has been changed due to unsafe weather conditions. We will post reschedule information no later than February 9th at Noon.
6. Presale lanterns purchased online are available for pick-up between 3-8pm. Unclaimed lanterns will be launched on behalf of the purchaser after 8 pm.
7. Use Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for your Google Map search (600 E Market St.) - the event will be held in the entire lagoon area this year (larger area to launch and view)
8. Bathrooms available under the convention center glass skywalk bridge. Bathrooms on the east side, river level, closest to the Hyatt.
9. Elevator access from street level to river level is available in the convention center (see map in photo gallery)
10. Nearby parking: Shops at Rivercenter, the city garage located at the corner of Market and Bowie, valet and self-parking at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, Marriott Riverwalk
11. Lanterns will be sold on-site beginning at 3 pm and will continue to be sold until 8 pm or until all lanterns are sold-whichever comes first.
12. Lanterns will be removed from the water beginning at 10 pm.
Enjoy the Parade of Lanterns event, February 9-23, from 7:00-9:00 PM each night. 26-foot long boats will carry enormous illuminated lanterns throughout the downtown portion of the River Walk.